Wood engraving from the Illustrated London News, 1st Jan 1859. The scene shows Brill’s Baths, the circular swimming bath known as ‘The Bunion’, which was demolished in 1858. It was a red-brick building originally opened by Mr. Lamprell and taken over by his nephew Charles Brill in the 1840s. The title on the print reads ‘see preceding page’ which may note the baths as having been recently demolished.
These were the first communal baths in the town but the building proved to be in a difficult position when Grand Junction Road was opened in 1829. Clarendon Mansions are to the right.
East Street. Lamprell's (later Brill's) Royal Brighton Baths.