Steel engraving by T Jeavons after G Ruff, published by W Grant, August 1850.
The view shows the flooded premises of the publisher John Bruce in Pool Lane, then in Pool Valley itself can be seen The Original Baths, Creaks Royal Baths with the Brill’s Bath noticeboard behind, the Duke of Wellington Inn, J Smith’s printers, and G Strong and N Perkins plumbers and builders.
Dr. John Awsiter was the first to make the progression from actual sea bathing to promote indoor bathing in warmed seawater as being very beneficial to health. His baths were later taken over by Mr Woods and renamed the ‘Royal Original Baths’. They were then taken over by Mr Creak, whose wife, Alice, continued the business after his death. In 1861 they were demolished to make way for the enlargement of Brill’s Baths, the premises of which adjoined 2 King’s Road.
Illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 67.
View other images where the weather plays a major role