Steel plate line-engraving by R Wallis after J M W Turner, printed in London by James S Virtue. This engraving is from one of the Turner paintings done for the Carved Chamber at Petworth House in about 1828. The first edition of this print was published much later, in 1859, and there were four subsequent editions published up until about 1880. This ability of plates to be published in several editions over many years was only made possible by the development of engraving on steel, as opposed to copper plates which had a much shorter life-span, and the use of steel was an interesting commercial decision by Turner. This plate is the second edition, c1862, dedicated to Lord Leconfield of Petworth.
The original oil painting is illustrated in BRIGHTON REVEALED Through Artists’ Eyes c1760 – c1960 published by the Royal Pavilion, Art Gallery and Museums, Brighton 1995, p 22.