Wood engraving by G Nibbs after R Nibbs, published as the frontispiece in W & C Fleet’s Hand-Book of Brighton and its Environs, with some account of the Fishery, 1847. Fleet’s hand-book was published again in 1854.
This engraving gives a good view of the East Cliff, and on the right is the opening of Lewes Crescent with the two homes for gardener/caretaker underneath the Crescent gardens clearly shown, but on an exaggerated scale. A packet ship is just leaving the pier’s landing stage.
See all images of the Chain Pier and read more about its history on the Chain Pier Gallery page
Madeira Drive. Chain Pier