Aquatint engraving after Edward Fox and published in C & R Sickelmore’s Select Views of Brighton, c1827.
Fox was a fine architectural and topographical artist, who moved down from London in 1813. He taught drawing at 55 Ship Street. A folder of Fox drawings and prints in is Brighton Museum. He died in 1875.
Clifford Musgrave in his book Life in Brighton writes that the designer of the pier, Captain Samuel Brown, ‘was a specialist in naval architecture and marine engineering . . built during 1823, in less than twelve months, it lasted for near three-quarters of a century . . and was an extremely advanced and audacious engineering achievement for its day. After the official opening on 25th November 1823 Captain Brown gave a grand ball and supper to a hundred of his friends at his own house, where the guests were astonished to find a representation of the Chain Pier beautifully drawn in chalk on the ballroom floor by the artist Edward Fox’.