Drawn and lithographed by Caleb William Wing (1801–1875), published by William Tuppen, Royal Marine Library, c1830.
C W Wing was working in Brighton from 1826 to 1829 and later ran a drawing class in Western Road. For thirty years, from 1845, he also worked for the British Museum as a copyist of illuminated manuscripts.
In an 1836 Brighton guide, Tuppen’s Library, on the Marine Parade, is described as being ‘well supplied with every popular work, especially such as are calculated for the fair sex, and the tables (which are placed in the bow windows, and command delightful views of the ocean and Chain Pier) are supplied with all the best newspapers and periodical works, as well as with several capital telescopes’.
Illustrated in Brighton Old Ocean’s Bauble by Edmund W. Gilbert, Methuen, 1954, opposite p 128.