Soft ground etching, with the initials ‘WN’ lower right.
This narrow shed-like structure on the beach was the pump house that supplied seawater for the public baths run by Dr Awsiter. Dr Awsiter built his baths in Pool Valley in 1769. He believed indoor warm seawater bathing was of the greatest health benefit, and his architect and builder, Robert Golden, built the water pump to supply the baths with seawater. The pump house remained a seafront landmark until 1829. Awsiter’s baths continued under various owners until they were demolished in 1861 to make room for an extension to Brill’s Baths.
This plate is engraved by William Nutter, the ‘WN’ of the initials, and is the second of the two Pump House prints published.