This view shows the southern end of BPC00449. On the immediate right-hand side is the terrace of homes called St George’s Place with their front gardens and railings.
Church Street Infantry Barracks, a substantial military complex seen behind (to the right in this picture) Marlborough Place and also known as Pavilion Barracks was originally a row of timber huts, which in mid-construction were changed to more permanent buildings as the government realised the conflict with Napoleon would last much longer than first expected. They were completed in 1796, with a brick perimeter wall. They remained until 1869 by which time, with a lack of maintenance, they had become an eyesore and were demolished, making way for the council’s highway equipment store, and the North Street Slipper Baths on the northern boundary.
The Cote Brasserie restaurant in Church Street uses the original building of George Faithfull’s chapel.