Hand-coloured wood engraving from the ‘Illustrated London News’, 24 August 1844. There are only three known cricket engravings of Brighton. This is showing Ireland’s Cricket Grounds, also called the Royal Cricket Ground, just north of St. Peter’s Church. On the far left of the scene is the southern entrance lodge to Hanover Crescent.
Illustrated in A History of Brighton & Hove by Ken Fines. Phillimore, 2002. Illustrated on page 26.
See all images of cricket and cricketers
See all images of Park Crescent and the Level
Park Crescent and The Level