North Entrance to the Royal Palace, Brighton


Steel engraving, probably after an original drawing by William Leppard, and engraved and published by Leppard of 17 East Street, November 1840.

Originally called the North Lodge, then the North Gate, it was commissioned by William IV and designed in 1832 by Joseph Good who had been in charge of building the South Lodge the previous year. The large building on the right, with the chimney stacks, was North Gate House, the last remaining house of Marlborough Row, originally number 8. It was renovated by Good in the oriental style and occupied by Maj Gen Sir Herbert Taylor, who at that time was private secretary to William IV.

Images of Brighton 586

See all images of the Royal Pavilion Estate

Church Road. Royal Pavilion North Entrance

loading map - please wait...

Church Road. Royal Pavilion North Entrance 50.823498, -0.136964 There is more than one image of this site. Click here to see all images