Wood engraving from J G Bishop’s A Peep into the Past: Brighton in the Olden Time, 1880 and the republished 1892 edition.
Lithograph by W Clerk, London. The chapel was opposite where New Road joins North Street today. It was built by the Countess of Huntingdon in 1822, on the site of her home, which by that time was too small for the Methodist revival meetings that she was encouraging. Her house itself was converted into a long gallery, with this Doric style facade added to the North Street entrance. As part of her work with John Wesley and George Whitefield, she founded 64 other chapels in England, including those in Bath, Worcester and Tunbridge Wells. Born Selina Hastings, she was a great philanthropist and has been called ‘The Queen of Methodism’. Her home and chapel was entirely rebuilt in 1870, with a flint-stone front, similar to the replacement that changed Trinity Chapel in Ship Street in the 1880s. This new church building was demolished in 1972.