Lithograph drawn on stone and published by J Booty, 13 December 1827. Printed by H Mew, this impression is on India paper. There is only one other known print of Brighton by John Booty, showing Kemp’s Temple in 1830, of which he was also the artist and lithographer.
The hospital building is recorded as being finished in 1828, so this print of 1827 is the earliest known image, probably published before the hospital actually opened, and well before the Adelaide and Victoria wings were added.
All printing plates had to be done in reverse for the correct orientation to be printed and, as can be seen in the lower publication line, Booty had problems drawing the number ‘4’ back-to-front in his address of ‘41 Ship Street’.
Illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 91.
Images of Brighton 811 and illustrated on page 98.
See all images of Hospitals and the Dispensary