Lithograph by T T Bury after the original drawing by the architect, Herbert Williams. Published by Day & Haghe, lithographers, February 1841.
Underneath the title is written: ‘This View of the Hospital showing the addition of the Adelaide Wing and other recent alterations’.
This is the first edition of the print, in subsequent editions it was realised that no mention was made of Queen Victoria, so above the title the line was added: ‘Victoria Wing founded 17th Aug 1838, Original Building founded 16th March 1826, Adelaide Wing founded 13th Aug 1840’. Further projecting wings were added in 1853.
T T Bury was a fine lithographer who worked on many railway publications.
Illustrated in Brighton’s County Hospital by Harry Gaston. Southern Editorial Services, 2008, front cover and p 29.