Coloured image from copperplate engraving by G H Phillips after William Drummond and Charles Basebe. (See also BPC00141 for the original engraving). Published by Gambarts, London and W H Mason, Brighton 1849. As in BPC00137, this is The Royal Cricket Ground, part of Ireland’s Gardens, with St Peter’s Church in the centre distance, and the tall walls of the Fives Court on the left.
This is one of the largest copperplate engravings in the context of Brighton prints. At some stage the plate was probably damaged on its left margin and later editions can be found with about two inches missing from that side. There were also later editions published as lithographs with a variety of incorrect titles.
Illustrated in The Old Ship: A Prospect of Brighton by Raymond Flower. Croom Helm, 1986, p 108.
Images of Brighton 965 and illustrated on page 89.