Wood engraving from the Illustrated London News, 3 March 1849.
On the left of the scene, the slope of North Road comes up to join Queens Road, and the site of the Dispensary is now an office block, with the Brighthelm church and community centre just below it. In the right hand foreground the original pedestrian railings are still in place today, and the pavement can be seen raised several steps up from the level of the road, as it is today.
The Dispensary, designed by Herbert Williams in what was termed a ‘Jacobethan’ style, was opened the year of this print, 1849, and closed in 1948. Its purpose was to provide free medicine to the Brighton poor. The present office block was built c1960.