Steel engraving after F W Woledge, no engraver named.
The building far left, with the central pediment, is the residential terrace on the corner of Castle Square which replaced the Castle Hotel in 1824. A bank now stands on that site. It was a residential terrace, with shops and offices on the ground floor. The Victoria Fountain is seen in full flow, St Peter’s Church is in the distance, and just to the right, jutting out into the Steyne, are the four houses known as the ‘Blue and Buffs’. They were built about 1780 and got their name having been painted in the Whig colours to celebrate a visit to the town of the Prince of Wales. Two of them are still standing today. In the centre of the print, middle distance, is the statue of George IV, erected in 1828 and moved from its original site, where the Brighton War Memorial now stands, to its present site near the North Gate in 1922.
There is a similar image at BPC00396.