An untitled lithograph c1840 – no artists known. This is the only known 19th century image of this house. The Rev Henry Wagner, the vicar of Brighton, had his new vicarage built in the Tudor Gothic style by the company of George Cheesman and Son in 1834/35. It stood in two acres of land just south of Kemp’s Temple home in Montpelier Road, the other side of the turning that is now Temple Gardens, but was then called Furse Hill Road. In a town guide of 1836 the house is described as ‘a splendid mansion – the garden in front is very tastefully laid out’.
Illustrated in The Victorian Development of the Clifton, Montpelier and Powis Estates of Brighton by Steve Myall. Pomegranate Press, 2008, p 161.