Detail, showing Montpelier Road as it joins King’s Road, from the Panorama of the West Cliff of Brighton seafront. An aquatint engraving by A Edington after A H Wilds, published by W H Mason, Ship Street, 1833. The Panorama illustrated the seafront from Ship Street to Adelaide Terrace. The complete publication, nearly 15 feet long, was issued under the title ‘To Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen, This Panorama is by Permission most Gratefully and Humbly Dedicated’. The view did not cover Pool Valley, the Steine or any of the East Cliff.
In this small section of the Panorama, the street entering the seafront, just left of centre, is the southern end of Montpelier Road. The building in the centre, West Cliffe House, was a lodging house owned by William Beck. To the right, in the distance at the top of Oriental Place, is Sillwood House, owned by and built for Sir David Scott. Sir David Scott (1782-1851) purchased the unfinished Oriental Place development in 1827, before the intended Athenaeum was built. He retained A H Wilds to design and complete the residential aspects of the planned development, and then build Sillwood House at the northern end. Sir David was the owner of Silwood Park in Berkshire.
To see the original design for Oriental Place, look at Images of Brighton entry 1216.
Images of Bedford Square and Oriental Place:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.