Hand-coloured aquatint, engraved, printed and published by John Bruce after the architect C A Busby.
Bruce was a prolific local artist/printmaker about which very little is recorded. Published in Bruce’s Select Views of Brighton’, 1829. The paper on this print is watermarked ‘J. Whatman 1828’.
In the centre of the scene, running away from the top of the Square, is the undeveloped track that became Brunswick Place. This leads to a clear depiction of Furze Hill, land owned by the Rev Thomas Scutt, and the house in the far distance is Wick House. This was the home of the Rev Dr Everard from 1829 and, in conjunction with the Rev Wagner, he was in charge of the Chapel Royal. There are no specific engravings of Wick House, and it only appears in the far distance of four Brunswick prints. The house was pulled down in 1938/39 and the Furze Croft flats now stand in its place. Wick Hall, a little to the east and not depicted here, was built later by Sir Isaac Lyon Goldsmid. The large house on the right-hand horizon is Kemp’s Temple, now the Brighton & Hove High School on Montpelier Road. Behind the right-hand Brunswick Terrace can be seen the large roof of The Old Market.
Illustrated in Fashionable Brighton 1820-1860 by Antony Dale. Country Life, 1947. Illustrated opposite page 120.
All images of Brunswick Square and Terrace:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.