Architect’s drawing with plan inset, by T.C. Sorby. Published in ‘The Building News’ Feb 21st 1868.
A photo-lithograph printed by Whiteman & Bass. This building still stands towards the eastern end of Church Street, on the corner of the footway that leads to the swimming pool.
From ‘The Building News’ article of 1868: ‘The subject of our illustration is being erected in Church Street, adjoining the old Infantry Barracks, and contiguous to the Pavilion. It is designed to provide adequate accommodation for the increasing business of the County Court. Ten tenders were submitted for the erection of the building, varying from £6,246 to £5,395, which sum, that submitted by Mr. J.T. Chappell of Steyning, was accepted. Mr. Thomas Charles Sorby, of Brunswick-square, London, is the architect’.
The finished building has small differences to the plan. The two chimney breasts were not built, neither was the extended upper floor window that jutted into the roof-line. This building was used as the County Court until 1967 and is now refurbished and available for hire.