Copperplate etching by Edward William Cooke (1811-1880) from his Sixty-five plates of Shipping and Craft published in London 1829-1830. This is numbered plate 10, published 1 August 1830. Plate illustrated opposite page 369 in John George Bishop’s A Peep into the Past: Brighton in the Olden Time, second edition of 1892. It is not in Bishop’s first edition of 1880. Bishop titles the plate The West Battery and Cliff (with Hog-boats in front) and explains ‘The Flag-staff on the present Esplanade, opposite the Grand Hotel, shows the site of the old Battery’.
Cooke was born in Pentonville and was the son of the well-known engraver, George Cooke, who engraved Turner’s view of the Chain Pier. E W Cooke was a very accomplished artist and engraver from a young age.