Steel engraving by T Jeavons. Published by J Smith, 8 Pool Valley, Brighton, c1850.
The view takes in the turnings of Black Lion Street, Ship Street, Middle Street and West Street in the middle distance, beyond which was W H Mason’s Repository of Arts Gallery.
The owners of the Star & Garter (on the right of this image) are described as ‘Smith late Boxall’. Laurie Keen in his ‘Close Up’ article in the Argus Magazine of 17/9/16 wrote that the Star & Garter was in place in 1785, from an advert in the August of that year, but it was not a hotel at that time.
Illustrated in The Old Ship: A Prospect of Brighton by Raymond Flower. Croom Helm, 1986, p 88.
Also illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 45.