Hand coloured aquatint engraving, c1820. No artists mentioned.
In 1795 the Admiralty ordered the erection of signal stations all along the Channel coast to maintain a watch against potential French invasion. Sites were chosen for their good sight lines out to sea and along the coast. The land was compulsorily rented from the current landowner, who was to have the option of keeping the buildings when they were decommissioned.