Copperplate line engraving by J Sparrow, published by Messrs Hogg of Paternoster Row. This is the first edition of the plate, the second edition bore the title ‘Hoove Church, near Brighthelmstone’ and the third edition was titled ‘Hove Church, near Brighton’. These were both a smaller size than this first edition.
Illustrated in J G Bishop’s A Peep into the Past: Brighton in the Olden Time, published by Bishop 1880, illustrated opposite page 362, and in the 1892 edition illustrated opposite page 380. In both editions, Bishop captions the picture as ‘Ruins of Hove Parish Church – about 1780’.
Also included in an extra-illustrated edition of J Bruce’s History of Brighton and Stranger’s Guide, 1827.
All images of St Andrew’s Church:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.