(this is a very small original image – see note on image sizes)
Steel engraving by Rock & Co, published 13 July 1866.
The print is listed but not illustrated in Images of Brighton, and titled as ‘Saints’ rather than ‘Angels’. This is the original, smaller church, before the enlargement of 1893. The foundation stone for the original building was laid in September 1861, from designs by G F Bodley, and it was the first brick-built church in Brighton. Later in his career Bodley was not pleased with his design. With its Pre-Raphaelite windows in the original building, and the Charles Eamer Kempe windows in the enlargement, it is viewed as the most important Victorian church on the south coast. C E Kempe was Nathaniel Kemp’s youngest son. This view shows Victoria Road, and behind the right hand end of the church is the shop on the corner of Victoria Road and Powis Road, (Headroom Barbers today) which in 1866 was a Post Office within the business of Thomas Robson, the chemist. The building on the left margin is the back of 8 Powis Road. This is the only known Victorian engraved image of this church: all other publications are photographs and that uniqueness also applies to this Victorian view of Victoria Road.
Illustrated in The Victorian Development of the Clifton, Montpelier and Powis Estates of Brighton by Steve Myall. Pomegranate Press, 2008, p 47.