Coloured lithograph by G Graf, London, published by W J Taylor c1850. The sky is printed in blue on this copy. Taylor took over the East Street premises of the publisher William Leppard. No artist is named, but it is certainly by J B Pyne (1800-1870). A little later, a smaller version of this scene was published as a chromolithograph; again the publisher was W J Taylor.
This scene shows the side view of the Albion Hotel, the entrance to the Chain Pier, the pier master’s house and camera obscura, and two hog-boats on the beach. In his 1847 Hand-Book of Brighton William Fleet describes the hog-boat as ‘peculiar to the Brighton beach’. The hog-boats were involved in trawling for a variety of fish – turbot, sole, brill, codfish, whiting and skate. These boats were very sound in rough weather and carried three oars for calm days. Fleet writes that there were about 60 of these boats based in Brighton.
Illustrated in A History of Brighton & Hove by Ken Fines. Phillimore, 2002, p 39.