(this is a very small original image – see note on image sizes)
Lithograph from Mogg’s Pocket Itinerary of the Direct and Cross Roads of England and Wales with Part of the Roads of Scotland published 1826.
Mogg’s publishing format was to publish small ‘pocket’ booklets covering specific areas according to where the purchaser wanted.
This view is taken from about halfway along the Chain Pier, looking towards the Steine. The waterwheel/treadmill was put in place in 1824. The tall shed-like building to the right of the wheel was the Pump House that supplied seawater for the public baths run by Dr Awsiter. It was pulled down in 1829 when Grand Junction Road was built to join Marine Parade to the King’s Road. Immediately behind the Pump House is the Albion Hotel, opened in August 1826, and just to the right of that are the end terraces of Steyne Street. Stretching from the Pump House to the right-hand edge is the iron balustrade of the Pier Esplanade – the entrance carriageway to the Pier.