Copperplate aquatint engraving by Francis Jukes, etched by S Watts and published by Watts, 50 Strand, London, August 1785. Illustrated on page 63 in Images of Brighton, the text reads: ‘Marine Parade had suffered for centuries the same problems of erosion as the west. Jukes’s view shows it in 1785 with Russell House in the distance and without a railing along the cliff top’. The print also gives a rare view of east side Church Hill showing St Nicholas Church, but long before the residential development of Upper North Street and the Clifton and Montpelier estates on the hill.
In the forefront and to the right of Russell House is the small shaded sun seat, looking south-east, giving protection from the afternoon sun, which also appears in the View of the Duke of Cumberland’s House published by J Sewell, August 1786 in the European Magazine – Images of Brighton 336 and see BPC00380.
Illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 112.
Images of Brighton 1097 and illustrated on page 63.