This is the left hand end of a panoramic view of the town in 1779 – republished as a lithograph from the original copperplate line engraving. The whole view forms the lower part of a map of Brighthelmstone, published by Richard Thomas, Brighton, June 1779. This small section of the view shows St. Nicholas’ Church atop Church Hill, to the west of the town.
Illustrated in Royal Pavilion: An Episode in the Romantic by Clifford Musgrave. Leonard Hill Books, 1959, opposite p 2.
Also illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 110.
Also illustrated in The Victorian Development of the Clifton, Montpelier and Powis Estates of Brighton by Steve Myall. Pomegranate Press, 2008, p 84.