(this is a very small original image – see note on image sizes)
Steel engraving by and after J Greig. Published by E Henderson, 2 Old Bailey, London, c1823. This view shows the undeveloped forecourt and entrance to the Chain Pier. In late 1824 the waterwheel/treadmill was put in place, by 1825 the ticket booth had been rebuilt, and then rebuilt again by the early 1840s. In early 1830, an arch was put in place joining two of the heavy gateposts, and a second arch was added later to join up the other gatepost.
Images of Brighton 1110