Wood engraving published in the Illustrated London News, 13 October 1849.
The college was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and built in 1849. This is the earliest dated engraving of the building, and probably the first illustration of the college to be published. It predates important additions to the building: the headmaster’s house that was added in 1854 and the chapel added in 1859. It was with a view to gaining students from the capital that this first illustration of the college appeared in the London press.