Wood engravings by one of the Dalziel brothers, signed on the far right tombstone of the lower print. Published by Charles Knight in The Tourists’ Guide to The Land We Live In, 1854.
While the publication date is 1854, the view of St Nicholas church, in the lower illustration, still shows the early dormer windows, so this is its pre-restoration state. The restoration work, carried out by the architect Richard Carpenter, lasted from June 1853 until March 1854 and reduced the main body of the church to a shell. The cleric portrayed taking the funeral is a good likeness to Henry Michell Wagner, vicar of Brighton from 1824-1870. He was 62/63 at the time of this print.
Images of Brighton 839 and 681
See all images of St Nicholas Church Brighton
See all images of churches in the churches gallery