Steel engraving by Silvester & Co, 27 Strand, London. Published in the Rev Horsfield’s The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex, 1835. When the two volumes of this work appear in book dealers’ lists, the illustrations are often described as ‘copper-plate’ engravings, but they are on steel.
The bell tower behind the hotel is that of St George’s Chapel, and on the far right edge of the scene is Eastern Place. In c1835 the Bristol Hotel was built and owned by William Hallett. Hallett also built the Catholic church of St John the Baptist in Bristol Road and founded the Kemp Town Brewery. He became Mayor in 1855.
Both images of the Bristol Hotel:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.