Aquatint engraving, part printed in colour, no artists named. The scene was first published as a lithograph in J Cordwell’s Views of Brighton, 1825, and this aquatint version might also be by Cordwell.
This view shows the original shelter and waiting room built over the natural spring. It was on the Wick House estate, quite close to Wick House itself, and in St Ann’s Well Gardens there is a small replicated well construction over where the spring was. The shelter in this print was later replaced by a much larger colonnaded building and, as a measure of the importance of this spring in the town’s history, there are sixteen known early 19th century engravings of it.