This image is one of three details of A Perspective View of Brighthelmstone and of the Sea Coast as far as the Isle of Wight (BPC00492), a first edition copperplate engraving is by P Canot after James Lambert. Published by Lambert in Lewes and Robert Sayer in London, 1765. Picture is courtesy of the Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove.
The far left house is that of Dr. Richard Russell and a little to the right is the colonnaded front of Mr. Woodgate’s library, later taken over by Miss Widgett. The next principal house is Steine House, the home of Mr. & Mrs. Richard Scrase, the original manor house of Brighton, bought by the Scrase family in 1771. This plot later became the site of the Royal York Hotel. To the right of the scene is Edward Baker’s Circulating Library, opened just a year or two before this print was published, and to the right of that is the narrow building of the bandstand.