This image is one of three details of A Perspective View of Brighthelmstone and of the Sea Coast as far as the Isle of Wight (BPC00492), a first edition copperplate engraving is by P Canot after James Lambert. Published by Lambert in Lewes and Robert Sayer in London, 1765. Picture is courtesy of the Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove.
Atop the hill is St. Nicholas Church with the muddy track-way called Spring Walk leading up to it from the Steyne. Church Street later replaced Spring Walk and took a route a little to the south of the fence enclosing the fields.