Aquatint engraving after Edward Fox. No engraver or publisher named, this is the second edition of the plate; the first edition title was ‘Grand Entrance … ‘. The original drawing by Fox is in Brighton Museum.
This south gate to the Pavilion Grounds was built for William IV in 1831, and designed by Joseph Good. It was also known as South Lodge and had guest rooms. When the Brighton Commissioners purchased the Pavilion Grounds in 1850, they demolished it. This detail illustrates the left-hand shopkeeper in Castle Square, Mr Reynolds, who styled himself an ‘Importer of foreign snuffs and Havannah Segars’.
Illustrated in A History of the Royal Pavilion, Brighton by Henry D Roberts. Country Life, 1939. Illustrated opposite page 175.
Also illustrated in J G Bishop’s A Peep into the Past, Brighton in the Olden Time, published by Bishop 1880, illustrated opposite page 242, and in the 1892 edition, illustrated before page 259.