Steel engraving, no artists mentioned but probably engraved by R.W. Silvester and published in Sickelmore’s ‘Descriptive Views of Brighton’ 1824 and republished again in 1827 in his ‘History of Brighton’.
The 12 lines of text are as follows:
The following is a faint outline of these beautiful and extensive Pleasure Grounds – two handsome lodges conduct to the Cricket Ground, at the upper end of which is a very fine Bowling Green, and a Billiard Room, with Colonnade and rustic Seats in front. At the lower end and beyond the fence of the Grounds, and totally separate from them, is a range of stabling and other accommodations. Proceeding across the Cricket Ground, you reach the Tea Gardens, at the entrance of which is a commodious Bar, with Reading Rooms, Etc., and over these is an elegant Promenade Room 30 ft by 80 ft. Immediately on entering the Gardens is a second Bowling Green, surrounded by a beautiful lawn and Tea Boxes, on one side of which is a Grotto, and on the other side an Aviary etc. At the further extremity of the Gardens is a Canal, across which a neatly constructed Bridge leads to a Battery of six pieces of Cannon, beyond which is a excellent Maze, with a Swing, upon Merlin’s principle, in the centre. The Gardens are admirably well laid out, and do great credit to the Proprietor. They are under the immediate patronage of His Majesty.
Printed and published by and for R. Sickelmore Jnr. Printer Cavendish Street, St. James’s Street, Brighton, where every description of Printing, is executed with punctuality and dispatch on the lowest terms.