Aquatint engraving by Joseph Cordwell and published by him, January 1825.
The foundations of the church date to Norman times. In the 1790s the tower was given the narrow spire that originally had a dolphin with the vane, but in 1808 this was replaced by the arrow, as seen. The dormer windows were an early 19th century addition, to provide some light to the galleries. These disappeared with the extensive rebuilding by Richard Carpenter in 1853/54 – when the nave was reduced to a mere shell. Few of the tombs in this earliest part of the churchyard survive today, but we do still have those of Amon Wilds, Phoebe Hessel, Martha Gunn, Capt Tettersell and Sake Dean Mohamed.