Aquatint engraving by and after Robert Havell and published by him September 1824. Subsequently published in E W Brayley’s 1825 Topographical Sketches of Brighthelmstone. The large building in the distance, to the right of the church, is the Church Hill Workhouse: built in 1821, it remained in use until the end of 1867. At this time the inmates were moved up to their new building on Elm Grove, which later became the Brighton General Hospital.
Illustrated in Georgian Brighton by Sue Berry. Phillimore, 2005, p 176.
Also illustrated in The Victorian Development of the Clifton, Montpelier and Powis Estates of Brighton by Steve Myall. Pomegranate Press, 2008, p 29.