(detail from ‘Ireland’s Royal Gardens’, BPC00195.)
In the large H Jones c1827 print of Ireland’s Gardens, this view of the Hanover Arms, with the fives and racquets courts to its right, appears on the far right. There are no other known views of this building. It has the Lewes Road running behind it. At the time of this print the Hanover Arms was run by James Ireland, but in 1843 the cricketer Thomas Box took over the lease. Box was known as an outstanding wicketkeeper.