Photogravure, c1885, included in The Album of Brighton Views, no publisher’s line but noted on the back as being ‘Manufactured Abroad’. This Gothic building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and built in 1882. It was destroyed by fire in 1966. Alfred Waterhouse (1830-1905) was particularly associated with Gothic Revival design and was responsible for Manchester Town Hall and the Natural History Museum. Previously there was just a Brunswick Town Hall, built as the headquarters of the Brunswick Commissioners, which housed the police station and fire service. With the growing population came the need for this replacement building illustrated above. It was completed in 1882 and its clock tower had a set of bells with a repertoire of 14 patriotic tunes.