Wood engraving, signed on the plate by the artist Richard Henry Nibbs. Its origin is uncertain but likely to be from either the Graphic or the Illustrated London News c1880.
The Dyke House Hotel was owned by William & Mary Thacker who took frequent adverts in the local papers. Typical was that of May 1849 in the Brighton Gazette, where William Thacker wrote:
‘In no part of England can a spot be found which shall excel the summit of the Dyke Hill, from whence a view is obtained of scenery the most enchanting . . . the spectator being able to distinguish . . . six counties’.
Both images of the Dyke House:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.