BPC00384 (no 1 of 4)
Copperplate line engravings (BPC00384-7) after Eleanor Lay, published 1788 – no engraving in the plain watercoloured skies. The original watercolours by Lay are in Brighton Museum.
Eleanor Lay produced another engraving, much smaller than these four, giving us the only known engraved view of Holland’s Pavilion from the west. On the reverse of a known copy of this engraving is an old inscription – ‘Miss Lay, 99 Dean Street, Soho’ – presumably an early pull from the engraver being sent to the artist’s home for her approval.
One of the set of four is illustrated in Georgian Brighton by Sue Berry. Phillimore, 2005. Illustrated on page 114.