Lithograph by Day & Haghe, 17 Gate Street, London. Drawn and published by H Mew, builder and surveyor, Mighell Street, Brighton, November 1831.
This Central National School was a rare Brighton example of Regency Gothic architecture. The school closed in 1967, and the building deteriorated until it was demolished by Brighton Council in 1971. The Government preservation listing for the building arrived just hours after the final demolition, the letter being delayed in a postal strike. Antony Dale described its demolition as the most shocking in Brighton – ‘a criminal folly’. The Council faced such criticism that soon after the demolition, it created the North Laine Conservation area nearby. The flint fronted building on the left of the print, on the corner of Church Street and New Road, still stands today.
Illustrated in Brave New City: Brighton & Hove Past, Present, Future by Anthony Seldon. Pomegranate Press, 2002, p 17.
Also illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 94.
Also illustrated in A Pictorial History of Brighton by John Roles & David Beevers. Breedon Books Publishing Company, 1993.