(this is a very small original image – see note on image sizes)
Steel engraving by Newman & Co, London c1860.
The school was opened on 1 August 1836 in Eastern Road, by the Rev Henry Venn Elliott, for 100 boarding daughters of clergymen. The 1877 Handbook for Travellers to Sussex, published by John Murray of Albemarle Street, London, describes St Mary’s Hall as ‘an excellent institution for education orphan’daughters of clergymen as governesses, on payment of £20 per annum’.
The land was donated by the Marquess of Bristol and building costs were £4,250. Elliott himself donated over half the costs, together with a thousand books. Before it closed in July 2009, with debts of over £2m, its 173 year existence made it the oldest school in Brighton with a continuous history.
Images of Brighton 927 and illustrated on page 103.