Aquatint engraving, part printed in colour, by George Hunt after M Jones. Published in C & R Sickelmore’s Select Views of Brighton, c1826.
The scene shows the turning of Market Street on the right.
In J G Bishop’s A Peep into the Past: Brighton in the Olden Time, he writes about the Star & Garter public house ‘and the beach, a flight of wooden steps, entirely unprotected, leading directly from the road to the beach, and the sea washed up them at high tide’. Soon after this print was published, the narrow seafront road was widened with better sea defences, and in 1829 when Grand Junction Road was built, Marine Parade in the east was finally joined to the King’s Road. This made a thoroughfare from Marine Parade, past the Steine and onto the King’s Road.
Whole print is in Images of Brighton 80 and illustrated on page 62.
Both images of the Star and Garter Hotel:
(Click on the image to see the full entry)