BPC00024. A detail of this image is available at BPC00172
Steel engraving by T Jeavons after George Atwick. Published by W Grant, 5 Castle Square, Brighton. Images of Brighton puts a circa 1865 date to this print, but it was one of a series commissioned by Grant in December 1847.
The tall building right of centre is the Queen’s Hotel, and the tall isolated building on the right is also part of the Queen’s, the gap between the two halves being filled in c1850. The low building in this gap is a fencing academy that was demolished when the hotel buildings were joined. The pitched roof to the left of the Queen’s is Knight & Mahomed’s hot & cold salt baths. Continuing to the left, the next building with the double bay windows is the Star & Garter Inn.
The Queen’s Hotel was built and named in 1846; its facade was reconstructed in 1908 to assist the assimilation of the next door hotel, Markwell’s, which had been constructed in 1870, having taken over the site of Sake Deen Mahomed’s vapour baths.
Illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979. Illustrated on page 65.
Images of Brighton 17. It was also published in a smaller size.
All images of the Queen’s Hotel:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.
Both images of the Star and Garter Hotel:
(Click on the image to see the full entry)