Lithograph published by A Hawkins, 35 West Street. This is the second edition, with the added date of 1853. Alfred and Harry Hawkins, both of 35 West Street, published eight other views, interiors and exteriors, of Brighton churches.
St Paul’s Church was opened for worship on 18 October 1848 and consecrated the same day in 1849. The Rev Arthur Douglas Wagner, the son of the Vicar of Brighton, the Rev Henry Michell Wagner, was its first priest and he ministered there until his death in 1902. The architect was Richard Cromwell Carpenter and it became an important example of the Decorated Gothic Revival style. It has an important series of stained glass windows by Augustus Pugin and other later windows by C E Kempe, the son of Nathaniel Kemp of Ovingdean Hall.
All images of St Paul’s Church:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.