Steel engraving by C J Smith after Charles Scott, from John Parry’s Historical and Descriptive Account of the Coasts of Sussex, 1833.
Charles James Scott (active 1819-1834) was a landscape painter; he lived in Brighton and was best known for views of the town. He exhibited at the Royal Academy, London.
Charles John Smith FSA (1803-1838) was an engraver, the son of a Chelsea surgeon. Particularly well known for his work on facsimiles of ancient manuscripts, he was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1837.
Note the title of Brighton West – Hove is still a small village just to the north of the seafront developments. Its church, St Andrew’s, was not restored to use until 1836.
All images of Brunswick Square and Terrace:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the date when the image was produced.
Click on any image to see its full entry.
There is more information about Brunswick Square and the surrounding area in BPC00050